Adobe InDesign (2 days)
Master Adobe InDesign desktop publishing
This two-day training course will give you an insight into some of the creative concepts and fundamentals of Adobe InDesign desktop publishing programme. With hands-on practice, our instructors will take you from knowing nothing or just a little, to a level where you can confidently start creating brochures, newsletters, posters and flyers.
In agreement with participants, training will be offered either virtually or in the classroom according to government Covid-19 guidelines.
You will learn the core features and tools of this page-layout application including concepts such as setting up documents with master pages and easily formatting text, objects and tables using styles.
Beginning with creating and editing documents, the course moves on to how to navigate and customise the workspace, work with text frames and graphics and add/format tables. Finally, you will learn how to package, print and export the finished project.
The standard range of topics covered on the course are detailed below. These can be tailored to your specific needs for in-house delivery.
- Adding and editing text
- Adding and replacing graphics
- Moving objects
- Printing and creating a PDF
- Understanding Your Workspace
- Exploring the application window
- Navigating and magnifying pages and objects
- Setting rulers and measurements
- Working with panels
- Setting the view quality of artwork
- Adjusting view and preview settings
Creating a Document
- Creating a new document
- Saving and reverting documents
- Saving for CS4, CS5, or CS6 with IDML
- Setting margin and column guides
- Putting ruler guides on your page
- Bleeding colours or images off the side of the page
- Inserting, deleting, and moving pages
- Changing page size
- Creating and applying master pages
- Overriding master page items
- Adding page numbering
- Changing page numbering with sections
- Understanding text frames
- Selecting and editing text
- Inserting special characters
- Importing text
- Threading text frames
- Setting text frame columns
- Using the Story Editor
- Checking spelling
- Using Find/Change
- Importing graphics
- Using the Links panel
- Editing graphics in their original application
Fitting Graphics to the Frame
- Inserting QR codes and barcodes
- Formatting objects
- Selecting objects
- Applying basic strokes and fills
- Colourising images
- Adjusting transparency
- Adding drop shadows
- Using other transparency effects
- Copying formatting with the Eyedropper tool
- Creating colour swatches
- Understanding the danger (and power) of unnamed
- Creating gradient swatches
- Applying gradients
Frames and Paths
- Editing frame and path shapes
- Adding rounded corners and other corner options
- Making polygons and starbursts
- Creating text outlines
- Stacking objects
- Creating and controlling layers
- Managing objects in the Layers panel
- Aligning and distributing
- Understanding text wrap
- Using anchored objects
- Duplicating objects
- Rotating objects
- Scaling objects
- Skewing objects
- Mirroring objects
- Applying basic character styling
- Applying advanced character formatting
- Changing case
- Using Find/Change for text formatting
- Using Find Font
- Applying formatting to a paragraph
- Spanning a paragraph across multiple columns
- Splitting a paragraph into multiple columns
- Using drop caps
- Setting tabs
- Adding automatic bullets
- Creating and applying paragraph styles
- Using character styles
- Editing and redefining styles
- Using object styles
- Applying styles with Quick Apply
- Creating a table
- Adjusting rows and columns
- Adding and deleting rows and columns
- Formatting a table
- Formatting cells
- Applying table styles
Packaging, Printing and Exporting
- Checking your document with the Preflight panel
- Packaging for output
- Using the Print dialog
- Printing a small booklet
- Exporting a PDF
- Exporting text
If you are new to InDesign or wish to improve your skills then this is the course for you.
Ian is an Associate Trainer with AKU Training Ltd specialising in software including Adobe, Quark .and IT systems. One of the foremost Technical Developers & Software Trainers in the Creative Industry, Ian has been delivering technical solutions and working in and alongside digitally creative & IT companies for over 19 years throughout the UK and Ireland. Ian specialises in delivering tailored, practical training solutions across a variety of disciplines and sectors.
A Technical Director and Senior Data Analyst for over 15 years, working directly on Web, Interactive, E-Learning, Graphic, Video and Crisis Management sectors. Having delivered training to clients for 19 years Ian can understand the various learning styles and objectives associated with learning and development. Ian also has many years of experience developing Web Design and Digital Marketing Strategies for a wide range of clients. A founding director of GIANT Associates Ltd. Ian and the team specialise in delivering a wide range of vital services to their clients ranging from the development of workflow solutions through Brand management and including forward thinking digital marketing solutions and Training plans designed for organisational success.
Adobe InDesign - 30th & 31st Jan 2023
Date: 30 January 2023Location: The Mount Business & Conference Centre / VirtualTime: 09:30 - 16:30Price: £395 +VAT
Adobe InDesign - 22nd & 23rd March 2023
Date: 22 March 2023Location: The Mount Business & Conference CentreTime: 09:30 - 16:30Price: £395 +VAT
Please note that the cancellation policy for our public training courses is as follows:
More than 3 weeks prior to the course start date - No cancellation fee payable.
Less than 3 weeks prior to the course start date - 100% of total fees payable or free transfer.
More than 6 weeks prior to the course start date - No cancellation fee payable.
Less than 6 weeks prior to the course start date - 100% of total fees payable or free transfer.
Substitute delegates will be accepted at any time at no cost.
Full joining instructions for the course will be emailed to you at least five working days prior to the course. In the meantime, if you have any queries please contact a member of our team on 028 9016 0587 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download a copy of our standard Terms and Conditions for course bookings.